So, everyone arrives and what no better way to kick off the Keynote, than to have some creative VR design / illustration going on which was a very nice touch to this event.
This year there were over 11,000 attendees from 60 Countries. Breaking records from all previous VMworld years. As some may say, a full house. The Partner Exchange was also packed, post Keynote.
General Session Summary:
As you may already know, the VMworld US event was a few weeks ago, and most of the general session information was a repeat of what was stated at the US event. However there were a few announcements on the new versions of VMware Integrated Containers (VIC), VMware Integrated OpenStack (VIO) and HCX Technologies for IBM Cloud and OVH.
The key themes of the General Session from VMware’s strategic priorities detailed as: Modernise Data Centers, Integrate Public Clouds, Empower the Digital Workspace and Transform Security.
So, the announcements in summary:
- Focus on “Accelerating the path to OpenStack for Network Functions Virtualisation”
- “The expansion of Cloud Provider offerings” any cloud message
- Speeding customer time to value for SDDC and multi-cloud management with new vRealize Suite 2017
- The expansion of VMware’s Mobile Security Alliance to provide a secure and flexible Digital Workspace
There are two articles from (the register) providing more information on the new version of NSX and VMware’s security focus.
- announcement of new version of NSX (NSX-T) – https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/09/12/nsx_t_2/
- AppDefense – protects against Malware and viruses – https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/09/05/vmware_wants_security_industry_to_…..
A message on security came from Pat Gelsinger during the Keynote: “The Tech industry has failed on security. We need a new approach, security should be built in as standard at the infrastructure level”
Some phrases from the session:
- “It is all about Apps”
- “The need to stop ‘fighting bad now and actually start ensuring good”
- “Today is the slowest day of tech innovation for the rest of your life!”
- “VMware delivers the broadest Ecosystem in the industry.”
- “Are you ready for GDPR”
- “We need to focus on basic Cyber Hygiene”
- “Any device, any application on any cloud”
I don’t want to spoil all the fun, so please if you get time, check out the General Session Video. I have also included some of the slides shown during the General Session if you want a quick insight.
During the session, Pat Gelsinger reminded us all that things that we dreamed off and science fiction is now becoming reality but more importantly, becoming part of our daily lives:
There was also a significant message on upgrading to vSphere 6.5 and others stating if you are not using NSX you are already behind (words to that effect).
Any Cloud message:
A clear message came out ” Consistent operations across all clouds”
One of the highlights for this General Session was the a VR-powered Cloud Management Demo with Pat Gelsinger as a SysAdmin of his very own “Virtual Datacenter”. We got to see Pat Gelsinger vMotion to different hosts and migrate VM’s to the cloud.
The General Session aka keynote is defiantly worth a watch, and you get to hear the strategy and vision of VMware 2017/18.
The General Session is now available on-demand at the following link: https://www.vmworld.com/en/europe/video/general-sessions.html
Look forward to my post on the second General Session.